Thursday, September 10, 2009

How to make a good resume - Part 1 - How to start ?

Disclaimer 1: Please do not be misled by the title ... It's just to get more random people who search such strings on google visit my blog. :P
It might sound desperate - but I want the counter ticking :)

Dedication: This blog is dedicated to all my friends who are just about to graduate from all the IIT's - specifically IIT Delhi.

Disclaimer 2: Most of what I write is general stuff - but yes there would be an IIT Delhi perspective to nearly all points.

The motivation behind this blog:
1. A lot of people have asked me answers to this question
2. I learned a lot during the IIT Placement time - and I am more than glad to share it.
3. I want my site visit counter ticking. :D

Disclaimer 3: Before you start reading anything below this line, please be warned that all what I write is from my experience, and there may be people who might say something totally contrary to what I would be suggesting. So in case you are interested, read think and do what you think is write. DO NOT FOLLOW BLINDLY.

Enough disclaimers - To start on ...

How to start making your resume?
Take a sheet of paper - or a doc file - and start thinking of whatever you have done, achieved right from class 8/9. Rack ur brains hard - think of EVERYTHING. Any sports, any camp, any debates, any award, any random project you did while you were in 2/3rd year ...

Once you have done this, organize all the data into a doc file and try and fit everything into subheadings like acads, internships, projects, extra curricular activities, Positions of responsibilities ...


What is the bottom line of a resume?

I quote one of my seniors, I think KGP " Each word, each phrase , each point in ur resume should add value to your profile."
This is the mantra I had always kept in mind when I was making my resume. Will give 1 simple example to illustrate this mantra:
for example if you have done a project in IIT - Say Mini Project. Do not waste your time telling the recruiter what the project is all about. Instead tell him what you achieved in the project, what was your learning, what was your contribution. The focus should be on YOU.

Just to let all IIT students know, for most companies for the first round of CV shortlisting a recruiter spends an average of 45 sec on 1 resume !


What do you need to make a good resume?

1. Time
2. Dedication - You need to be committed to the thing - coz resume making is a very long, tedious and at time frustrating job. You will have to go through several revisions till you are finally satisfied.
3. Seniors/Friends/Relatives/Teachers: Make a list of people who can review and give valuable feed on your resume. Depending on how well you know the person and how busy the person is you can send them some/all/none of your resume drafts.
CAUTION: Read Disclaimer 3 when you do this.

How do you show your devotion for a particular task in you resume - in IITD lingo - how do you highlight a spike ?

Companies generally tend to see a sustained interest in a particular field/activity. In terms of acads, if for example all of your projects&internships in your resume are in Industrial Engineering - that shows you have a sustained interest in it.
In terms of other activities, if you have played a sport right from school level to say state level - thats a big advantage.
Having said that, it does not mean that people who have done a lot of different things in a short span of time are at a loss - they would just emphasise on diversity.

I think I have covered most of the basics - please post your questions and I shall be more than happy to answer them.
In any case I shall also be posting another article on some further tips.

All the best !!!


2 comments: